#164

NOW SOLD

Padouk and Chrome Ballpoint Twist Pen



PADOUK - Pterocarpus soyauxii

Padouk is vivid red with a distinctive contrasting band of white sapwood. Padouk may show interlocking grain in places and has a fine, even texture. Like all woods the colours do develop, the more vivid the colour the greater likelihood that the colour will change, not necessarily fade. Padouk can develop into quite a dark brown colour.


This piece of padouk was slightly lighter than the others that I turned this week, it could have been getting closer to the sapwood which is almost white. I will try and get some pen blanks from my timber merchant that are part sapwood and will make a natural two tone colour. I turned a few Padouk pens on a warm afternoon (one of the last) and the aroma of this timber is quite phenomenal, it's very tropical - almost like Malibu and pineapple!

This pen was turned on Wednesday the 19th November. We had been in Lime Farm Marina for about three weeks by now having some alterations done to our narrowboat. Lime Farm is an off grid marina but we were lucky enough to be able to use the site generator whenever the guys had it on for welding. I was able to prepare quite a few pen blanks inside the boat on rainy days and dash out with the lathe when it was a little dryer. Luckily a good size golfing umbrella will just about cover my work bench in the event of a shower.
  1. Padouk and Chrome Ballpoint Twist Pen
  2. Padouk has a lovely tropical aroma when its sawn almost coconut like

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, you can always contact me via email at thepenmakersboat@gmail.com or find The Pen Makers Boat on Facebook. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.