#197

NOW SOLD

Zebrano and Aluminium Rollerball Pen With Gun Metal






ZEBRANO - Microberlinia brazzavillensis

Also called Zebrawood, Zebrano is a pale brown colour broken up by parallel darker streaks which create the zebra pattern that gives this timber its name. Zebrano has a coarse texture, and the interlocking grain is generally straight. With an oil finish, Zebrano can turn a dark brown colour.

Turned on February 12th 2015 from a nicely figured quite unique little piece of Zebrano with, rather than fairly even stripes, a clear division between light and dark woods. I used just a few coats of boiled linseed oil and cyanoacrylate to finish this pen to retain the warmth of colour and touch of the natural wood. The cap was made from a solid 20mm rod of aluminium. This pen may well be a one off because my wood lathe really didn't like turning aluminium. I am not sure if the swarfe was getting into the control box but it kept arching so I had to file the cap by hand which took nearly three hours! It was made whilst we were moored outside the newly refurbished Barclay Card Arena in Birmingham.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, you can always contact me via email at thepenmakersboat@gmail.com or find The Pen Makers Boat on Facebook. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.