#430

Blue Acrylic and Chrome Fountain Pen


Whenever I start to make a pen from an acrylic blank I always remember the negative points. Acrylic turning is messy, I really try to clear every last scrap of it up; it can also be smelly; the sharp little chips get everywhere and it can blunt the turning chisels really quickly. By the time the pen shape is turned and I start the messier job of wet sanding through about fifteen different grades I'm usually trying to convince myself that maybe its better to just concentrate on turning wooden pens.

Then the final grades of sanding and polishing start to reveal something special and I really like acrylic again... until the next time.


We left Bumble Hole a day early. The weather forecast was looking grim again with higher winds and a whole day of rain forecast. Before getting the pram cover built on the back of the boat I used to have to turn pens on the good weather days and move on the nasty ones, now we had the luxury of the choice of days. 

Today's cruise was going to be a nice shortish one in cool winter sunshine. We didn't even have any locks to slow us down and as soon as we were through, the large and easy to navigate, Netherton tunnel it would be New Main Line all the way to Brum city centre to meet up with our fellow traders for The Narrowboat Traders Association Winter Floating Market.

There was a great turnout with several boats down on the cancellation list. Friday was going to be a long, and hopefully, busy day for us as it was our first NBTA late night illuminated market with all of us boaters displaying Christmassy lights and opening until late. I had heard a whisper that we were going to be open from 10 til 10! At least I will have time to catch up with the last of my commissioned pens.


Pen #430 was turned on Tuesday 15th December 2015 just outside the car park of the Barclay Card Arena in Birmingham.









2 comments:

Thanks for commenting, you can always contact me via email at thepenmakersboat@gmail.com or find The Pen Makers Boat on Facebook. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.